The second was a baked sweet potato. With Earth Balance. And cinnamon. And a little salt. And dried cranberries. GOOD GRACIOUS.
And I thought…why not turn it into oatmeal? 🙂 You’re welcome.
I’ve started baking my sweet potatoes in a crock pot. It’s so perfect. I can do it in the evenings and just let it sit for a few hours, and I don’t have to worry about under-cooking it like I usually do when it’s in the oven and I’m impatient to eat it. 🙂
What you'll need:
- 1 cup milk of choice, or water
- 1/2 cup rolled oats (I use Country Choice Organic)
- 1 small sweet potato (or 1/2 a large one), peeled, cooked, and mashed
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of nutmeg
- pinch of salt
- handful of dried cranberries
How to make it:
- Bring milk (I use an equal mixture of almond milk and water) to a boil, add oats, and reduce heat to medium. (If you'd like to add flax or chia seeds, do so now.)
- Give the oats a couple minutes to cook on its own. Then, add mashed sweet potato and stir.
- Once more of the liquid has absorbed, add maple syrup, cinnamon, vanilla, nutmeg, and salt. Stir.
- If you'd like to add any extra ingredients (coconut oil, dried fruit, nuts, sunflower seeds), do so now. I recommend walnuts or pecans.
- When you're pleased with the consistency of the oatmeal, transfer to a bowl. Either stir the cranberries into the oats, or just top the oatmeal with them! Serve with another splash of your milk of choice and any other additional toppings (shredded coconut, nuts, etc.).