I hope nobody is bored of my lemon recipes! This will be the last one for a while, I promise. And trust me, this one is a fabulous one to finish with. It’s bright, fruity, and energizing! I made this for dinner on a beautifully sunny day (didn’t need a jacket!), and I savored every golden spoonful while lounging on my wood floor next to an open window. Oh, spring! I love thee.
I resent the idea that oatmeal is only a “winter food.” Boo on that! If you haven’t noticed, I enjoy oatmeal year-round. The heat doesn’t bother me because I’m usually cold in the mornings, regardless of the season. Of course, I could always prepare refrigerator oats instead…but I rarely eat cold oatmeal anyway. As I’ve mentioned before, I always heat up my overnight oats before eating them. There is just something so comforting about warm porridge!
How about you? Do you only eat oatmeal in the wintertime?
What you'll need:
- 1 cup milk of choice, or water
- 1/2 cup rolled oats (I use Country Choice Organic)
- 1 ripe banana
- juice of one lemon (~3 tbsp), or 1 tsp lemon extract
- pinch of salt
- 1 kiwi, peeled and diced
How to make it:
- Bring milk (I use 1/2 c almond milk and 1/2 c water) to a boil, add oats, and reduce heat to medium. (If you'd like to add flax or chia seeds, do so now.)
- Thoroughly mash the banana and add to the oats. Stir!
- Once more of the liquid has absorbed, add lemon juice and salt. Stir.
- When you're pleased with the consistency of the oatmeal, transfer to a bowl. Top oatmeal with kiwi and add another splash of your milk of choice, along with any other additional toppings (shredded coconut, nuts, etc.).