I have another oatmeal recipe for you. It’s basically the combination of several of my favorite oatmeal recipes. I woke up Monday morning craving peanut butter, but I needed to use up half an apple I had in the fridge, so I just kind of threw it all together. Naturally, it was delightful (I think I’ve made less than three “bad” bowls of oatmeal in my life. It’s hard to screw up!).
As you all know, Banana PB&J Oatmeal is one of my absolute favorites. However, I am constantly bombarded with messages from people who A) hate bananas, or B) are allergic. 🙁 This recipe is a wonderful substitute. Obviously it tastes much different than Banana PB&J, but it’s delicious in its own way (kind of like how a veggie burger doesn’t taste like a beef burger, but it tastes equally amazing* in its own way).
*I’m sure some people will disagree with that statement…but they can get their own blog! 🙂
If you think this recipe sounds odd, think of it this how: how great are apples dipped in peanut butter?
What you'll need:
- 1 cup milk of choice, or water
- 1/2 cup rolled oats (I use Country Choice Organic)
- 1 apple
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp nut butter
- your favorite jam or fruit butter/preserves
How to make it:
- Bring milk (I use an equal mixture of almond milk and water) to a boil, add oats, and reduce heat to medium.
- Immediately dice in the apple to the cooking oats. You want to add this as soon as possible so the apple has a chance to soften up in the cooking process.
- Once more of the liquid has absorbed, add a pinch of salt, vanilla extract, and cinnamon.
- If you'd like to add any additional ingredients (coconut oil, raisins, sunflower seeds), do so now.
- When you're pleased with the consistency of the oatmeal, transfer to a bowl. Top with swirls of grape or strawberry jam/jelly/preserves and globs of your favorite nut butter. I used banana butter. Add a splash of your milk of choice and enjoy!