I truly did have great ambitions for the blog this week. I had a couple new ideas for breakfast oatmeal, a lengthy list of savory oatmeal possibilities, and even a couple baked goods in mind. But then I went ahead and got myself a kidney stone.
Yes, Wednesday morning, I awoke bright and early with a kidney stone slicing its way to my bladder. How pleasant! I practically sang and danced all the way to the emergency room. Never in my life have I been filled with such joy and endless optimism!Yeah right. In truth, it was easily the most painful experience I’ve ever been through. Luckily for me, it was only one small stone, and it passed pretty quickly. I’ll count my lucky stars this time.
I’m almost completely recovered from the side effects of the Vicodin now, so I’m well enough to share this recipe. I’ve seen various versions pop up around Pinterest several times, but I made mine without a recipe. I can’t say I’ve ever actually eaten an Almond Joy before, but this oatmeal contains the three basic ingredients: chocolate, coconut, and almonds. Oh yes, and happiness. That’s the fourth ingredient.
I recommend this for a weekend indulgence, but hey, it’s healthy enough for a weekday morning!
What you'll need:
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup regular rolled oats
- 1 ripe banana
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
- 4 tsp cocoa powder
- pinch of salt
- shredded coconut and sliced almonds for topping
How to make it:
- Bring coconut milk to a boil, add oats, and reduce heat to medium.
- Mash up banana thoroughly. Once it's all perfectly mashed, add to the pot and stir.
- Once more of the liquid has absorbed, add almond extract, cocoa powder, and salt.
- Stir, and watch your oatmeal transform into fudgy goodness.
- When you're pleased with the consistency of the oatmeal, transfer to a bowl. Add a splash of coconut milk and sprinkle shredded coconut and sliced almonds on top. Delicious!