As promised, I made a banana version of the Spiced Pumpkin Oatmeal with Java PB2. I always follow through with my promises, right?
Considering I’ve already explained the influence behind this post, I’ll just do some quoting. It started in my Banana, Mango, & Cardamom Oatmeal:
I finished my PB2 and cocoa powder before the move to Brooklyn, and at my new apartment, I decided not to buy more. Why? Because it’s all I wanted to eat. Every day. My blog was begging for new recipes, but all I ever wanted to eat was Fudgy Banana & Peanut Butter Oatmeal or Berry Blackout Oatmeal or Mocha Brownie Batter Oatmeal with Almond Butter.
. . . So I’m challenging myself to not keep those two ingredients in the apartment for a couple weeks to see what I can create in the morning without them calling my name.
The idea for this recipe actually came from my banana soft serve. I usually flavor my banana soft serve with cocoa powder and top it with PB2 (shocking, right?). Since I couldn’t do that, I had to get creative.
Then, I continued my soft serve experimentation and made this, taken from the pumpkin version of this recipe:
Like my Banana Mango Cardamom Oatmeal, this recipe came to me while I was making banana soft serve. Although I didn’t let myself buy cocoa powder, I did eventually crack down and buy PB2. On that particular night, I mixed pumpkin pie spice into my banana soft serve, and then put PB2 mixed with instant coffee granules on top.
Even though I first decided to make a pumpkin version for my oatmeal, I knew I had to make a banana version as well. Are we all caught up now?
So how is this different than the pumpkin version? Well, the pumpkin version screeeeeeams Pumpkin Spice Latte, but this one just blends a pleasant array of flavors. If you like my Banana Chai Latte Oatmeal or even the Banana, Mango, & Cardamom Oatmeal, you’ll probably like this one because you appreciate the combo of banana with complex spices. And what’s not to love about coffee flavored nut butter?
And don’t forget to participate in the contest to become December’s Oatmeal Enthusiast!
All you have to do is leave comments. See details here.
- [sips] Brew Dr. Kombucha – Lemon Ginger Cayenne flavor (The company is based in Portland, OR, and can most easily be found on the West Coast.)
- [reads] Did you see this list of 11 overnight oatmeal recipes on BuzzFeed? I’m #10!
What you'll need:
- 1 cup milk of choice, or water
- 1/2 cup regular rolled oats
- 1 ripe banana
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- pinch of salt
- 2-3 tbsp PB2*
- 1/4 tsp instant coffee granules (adjust to preferences)
How to make it:
- Bring milk (I use 1/2 c original almond milk and 1/2 c water) to a boil, add oats, and reduce heat to Mash 2/3 of the banana and set aside the rest of topping. Add the mashed banana to the saucepan. Stir.
- While you wait for the oatmeal to cook, prepare the Java PB2. Add water to the PB2 a teaspoon at a time until you reach the desired consistency. (I like mine thick but spreadable.) Mix in instant coffee granules. Taste; add more coffee granules if desired. Set aside.
- Back to the oatmeal! Once more of the liquid has dissolved, add vanilla extract, pumpkin pie spice, and a pinch of salt. Stir.
- When you’re pleased with the consistency of the oatmeal, transfer to a bowl. Top with Java PB2, add a splash of your milk of choice, and add remaining sliced banana and any other additional toppings. I recommend pecans or walnuts.
Just an FYI:
*alternatively, you can mix the coffee granules with regular nut butter, or you can mix PB2 with brewed coffee Adapted from Spiced Pumpkin Oatmeal with Java PB2.