I love pomegranates. I love nut butter. The two were bound to meet.
You can use any nut butter for this recipe, and I can imagine that almond butter or PB&Co.’s Dark Chocolate Dreams would be fantastic here. If you’re super fancy, you could even go so far as using pistachio butter (look at you!).
Me? I used crunchy peanut butter. Shocked? You shouldn’t be.
I can’t wait to try this with something more exotic, but every time I imagined using almond butter or Dark Chocolate Dreams, I just felt like I was cheating on peanut butter. 🙂 Peanut butter was begging to be included in this recipe, and I just had to follow through. We have a mutual love and respect for each other.
The banana? Yeah. You know me. I just couldn’t skip the banana…but you can!
What you'll need:
- 1 cup milk of choice, or water
- 1/2 cup rolled oats (I use Country Choice Organic)
- 1 banana (optional)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 1/3 cup pomegranate arils
- 1-2 tbsp nut butter
How to make it:
- Bring milk (I use 1/2 c almond milk and 1/2 c water) to a boil, add oats, and reduce heat to medium. (If you'd like to add a teaspoon of flax or chia seeds, do so now.)
- If using banana, mash and add to the oatmeal. I mashed half and saved the rest for topping.
- Once more of the liquid has absorbed, add vanilla extract, cinnamon, and salt. Stir.
- When you're pleased with the consistency of the oatmeal, stir in half of the pomegranate. Then, transfer to a bowl. Add nut butter, remaining pomegranates, and a splash of your milk of choice. I sliced the other half of my banana and added that on top.