I have discovered an imperfection in Trader Joe’s. It has taken me a year, but I finally found it. Trader Joe’s does not sell individual jalapeño peppers. If you wish to purchase one, you must buy a container of them that holds SEVEN PEPPERS.
Because who doesn’t need seven jalapeño peppers at one time?!
Feeling clever, I purchased one of their “guacamole kits” instead. It contains ONE jalapeño, two avocados, some garlic, a lime, and two tomatoes. I can use the avocados without a sweat, and I can easily find an excuse to use a lime. The garlic will remain usable for weeks and will definitely serve its purpose eventually. The tomatoes, however, will be a struggle. I might try and make tomato sauce or something (I have garlic, after all!).
Anyway, I went through all that trouble just to try out this porridge recipe. I’ve often stumbled upon pineapple-jalapeño jelly and pineapple salsa, and I felt an urge to try this combo. To be transparent, I must admit that the cilantro ruined it for me (I hate the stuff; I only used it because I know it looks pretty on top of food). Still, whenever I took a bite that didn’t contain cilantro, I quite liked it! Was it my favorite? No, but jalapeños aren’t exactly my thing, so that’s to be expected. If you like jalapeños (and cilantro), this could really blow you away! For now, I’m sticking to Pina Colada Oatmeal. 🙂
What you'll need:
- 1 cup milk of choice, or water
- 1/2 cup rolled oats (I use Country Choice Organic)
- 1/2 cup frozen pineapple chunks
- 1/2 a jalapeno (or more), seeded and diced
- pinch of salt
- a few cilantro leaves (optional)
How to make it:
- Bring milk (I use 1/2 c almond milk and 1/2 c water) to a boil, add oats, and reduce heat to medium. (If you'd like to add flax or chia seeds, do so now.)
- Add frozen pineapple, diced jalapeno, and a pinch of salt immediately and stir.
- When you're pleased with the consistency of the oatmeal, transfer to a bowl. Add a splash of your milk of choice, cilantro, and any other additional toppings (sunflower seeds, more pineapple, etc.).