WHY did it take me so long to try this combination? The pineapple-coconut duo is one of my favorite flavor combos. It’s even better than strawberry-banana! Or–dare I say it–chocolate and peanut butter?
Nah, scratch that last one. Nothing’s better than chocolate and peanut butter.
I really, really loved this oatmeal; it’s so flavorful and refreshing. Pineapple, as I’m learning, works beautifully in oatmeal. Some fruits lose their flavor after undergoing the slightest bit of cooking on the stove, or the flavor mysteriously disappears when combined with the oatmeal. (If anyone can explain this phenomenon to me, that’s be greatly appreciated.) On the other hand, pineapple not only retains its flavor, but seemingly gains more of it! You won’t need added sugar, and you won’t need special spices or extracts. A little coconut milk (or if nothing else, shredded coconut) is all it takes to elevate the pineapple.
You can use either fresh or frozen pineapple. If you have fresh pineapple, feel free to add more as a topping at the very end!
Frozen pineapple often comes in fairly large chunks. I slice those chunks into some smaller pieces so they’re bite-size. Also, the pineapple chunks attract a lot of the heat while cooking, and if they’re too big, they inevitably will burn your mouth when you try and bite into them.
Trust me. 😉
What you'll need:
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup rolled oats (I use Country Choice Organic)
- 1 cup diced pineapple, fresh or frozen
- pinch of salt
- shredded coconut for topping
How to make it:
- Bring coconut milk to a boil, add 1/2 cup regular rolled oats, and reduce heat to medium. (If you'd like to add flax or chia seeds, do so now. I recommend chia.)
- Add pineapple and a pinch of salt. Stir.
- If you'd like to add any extra ingredients (coconut oil, dried fruit, nuts, sunflower seeds), do so now.
- When you're pleased with the consistency of the oatmeal, transfer to a bowl. Serve with another splash of coconut milk and top with shredded coconut. If using fresh pineapple, add a few more diced chunks as a topping!