I feel so honored and proud to be sharing a recipe for Orange-Rhubarb Oatmeal with Orange PB2 that Lauren has chosen as one of the winners of “Spring” Oatmeal Contest.
For me oranges are winter fruits. Their smell reminds me of Christmastime (it’s kind of fitting because just recently, on Easter Sunday it was snowing in my hometown and it felt like Christmas). On the other hand rhubarb is definitely spring fruit. My childhood memories include eating raw rhubarb with sugar. It was tart and sweet and absolutely delicious! Now I really like adding rhubarb to my oatmeal, both stove-top and baked. I’ve run out of my supply of frozen rhubarb and I can’t wait for it to be in season again!
With this recipe I wanted a topping to be the star. I’m a PB2 newbie. I’ve bought it recently and I love it! Regular peanut butter is more difficult to spread, with PB2 I can decide what consistency I want to have and I can mix it with any liquid I want! This was the inspiration for the topping. I wanted to try mixing PB2 with orange juice. It worked pretty well. You can taste orange but its flavour isn’t dominant.
What you'll need:
- 2 oranges (my oranges were quite small)
- 1/4 cup of rhubarb
- 1/2 cup of rolled-oats
- about 1/2 cup of liquid (milk or water)
- 1/4 teaspoon of cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon of ginger
- orange zest from one half of orange
- 2 tables spoons of PB
- 2 tablespoons of orange juice
How to make it:
- Cut oranges in half. Juice two halves. You should have about 1/2 cup of orange juice. Leave two tablespoons for later!! Add your milk/water to the orange juice so that you have 1 full cup of liquid. Prep your other orange.
- Bring the liquid to the boil. Then add oats and reduce heat to simmer.
- Add the orange segments (leave some for topping) and rhubarb.
- While the oatmeal is cooking, prepare PB2. Gradually add orange juice to your PB2 and mix it. (You may need to add few drops of water if it is too thick).
- Once more liquid has absorbed, add orange zest and spices. Stir.
- When you’re pleased with the consistency of the oatmeal, transfer to a bowl. Add your remaining orange segments, some rhubarb and your orange PB2!