Sometimes I am overwhelmed by the possibilities. I have so many ideas to share with the world, and it feels like there simply isn’t enough time to do it all.
This morning in particular was tormenting! I spent nearly ten minutes trying to decide what to make. Ultimately, I decided on this orange-blackberry combo–and I’m glad I did! It was the perfect way to wake up my sleepy Sunday self.
It was a fun change to use orange segments as a topping. I always just stir my citrus right into the oatmeal while it’s cooking, but today I got the idea to save some for the topping. How lovely! I will definitely be doing that more often.
What you'll need:
- 1 cup milk of choice, water, or orange juice
- 1/2 cup rolled oats (I use Country Choice Organic)
- 1 orange
- handful of blackberries
- pinch of salt
How to make it:
- Prep your orange.
- Bring milk (I use an equal mixture of almond milk and water) to a boil. Add oats, and reduce heat to medium. I also added a spoonful of chia seeds at the same time as my oats.
- Spoon out the segments from ONE orange half and add to the oatmeal. Stir.
- Once more of the liquid has absorbed, add a tiny pinch of salt. Stir.
- If you'd like to add any extra ingredients (coconut oil, raisins, sunflower seeds), do so now. I added dried cranberries.
- When you're pleased with the consistency of the oatmeal, add half of your blackberries and stir gently. Then, transfer to a bowl. Spoon out the segments from the other half of the orange on top, and add the rest of the blackberries. Serve with another splash of your milk of choice and any other additional toppings (shredded coconut, nuts, etc.).
Orange Blueberry Oatmeal: Swap the blackberries for a handful of fresh blueberries!