My name is Joz Lee. Short story: When I got married, I did not know how to cook. My husband was a good cook and I learned from him. Then we traveled to different states and countries; wherever we traveled, I was involved in learning and participating in the FOOD. Then I had a chance to take a nutrition course and got certified. After that I fell in love with food. I find a new recipe and I follow it to a ‘T,’ and then I improvise, change, and often don’t measure out the ingredients! It almost always comes out perfectly.
I fell in love with oatmeal and started making my own oatmeal every day for breakfast. I like savory ones better. For my own oatmeal, I cook the oatmeal just in water. Then I add all sort of ingredients from all types of cuisines: Asian, Greek, Italian, Mexican. Currently, I’m trying to figure out how to create a Polish Mushroom & Sauerkraut and Cabbage . . . This will be fun as I’m from Poland.
Hope you enjoy my recipe!
What you'll need:
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup quick cook steel cut oats
- 2 tbsp of cream cheese (vegan or not)
- 1/2 a jalapeño, deseeded chopped (adjust quantity for your taste preferences)
- 1/4 cup cheddar cheese, shredded (vegans, try Daiya)
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tsp parmesan cheese (vegans, try Go Veggie)
- pinch of salt
- toasted breadcrumbs for topping (I toasted in a toaster oven while the oatmeal was cooking)
How to make it:
- Bring liquid to a boil and stir in oats.
- Reduce heat and simmer until it starts to thicken, between 5-10 minutes.
- When you’re pleased with the consistency of the oatmeal, add cream cheese, jalapeño, cheddar, garlic powder, salt, and parmesan cheese. Mix all together. (You could reserve some of these ingredients for topping, as pictured.)
- Transfer to a bowl and top with toasted bread crumbs!
Just an FYI:
I had shitake unBacon left over from dinner so I added it to my bowl. Recipe here.