I’m still disappointed that my Grapefruit-Coconut Oatmeal recipe isn’t more popular. How many glittering reviews do I have to give it before people try it out? What I love about it most is that the oatmeal and coconut milk mellow out the bite of the grapefruit, leaving you with just the sweet, citrusy flavor of the grapefruit. No bitterness! The only thing I don’t like about it is the prep work; segmenting grapefruits is such a bother.
Well, here’s a way to save some time. You can do the prep work the night before, and you’ll be able to wake up to delicious grapefruit oatmeal in the morning without dirtying a knife!
Did I merely use the same picture for this post as I did for the original stovetop recipe? Mmhmm, yes, I did. Get over it. Although Daylight Saving Time has allowed me to photograph AFTER work, I still can’t take pictures in the morning. (I wake up at 5:freaking30, remember??) Thus, overnight recipes remain unphotographed. Deal. With. It.
Plus, it’s the exact same recipe–just prepared differently.
What you'll need:
- 1/2 a grapefruit
- 1/2 cup milk of choice (I recommend coconut)
- 1/2 cup rolled oats (I use Country Choice Organic)
- 2 tbsp shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup coconut yogurt, or coconut-flavored almond yogurt (optional)
- pinch of ground ginger
- pinch of salt
How to make it:
- Prep grapefruit and spoon segments into a mason jar.
- Combine all remaining ingredients in the jar.
- Cover with lid and shake, shake, shake until combined.
- Store in the refrigerator overnight (or for several hours). Eat cold or warm up in the microwave! It's best warmed up with more shredded coconut on top...and a drizzle of honey!
Just an FYI:
Adapted from Grapefruit Coconut Oatmeal.