Don’t freak out. I know it looks and sounds strange, but…just give it a chance!
It’s verging on a savory oatmeal, but it’s definitely still sweet. It’s inspired by one of my favorite salads, grapefruit segments and avocado slices piled on a heap of spinach. Mmmm. If you’re hankering to try savory oats, but are still too scared to make the jump, this might be a good transition recipe for you. The grapefruit is flavorful, but the avocado is rich and creamy. As long as you like avocado (and I really, really do), you’ll enjoy this.
You just have to get the courage to try it. 🙂
What you'll need:
- 1/2 a grapefruit
- 1 cup milk of choice, or water
- 1/2 cup rolled oats (I use Country Choice Organic)
- 1 tsp lemon juice, or 1/8 tsp lemon extract
- 1/3 ripe avocado
- pinch of salt
How to make it:
- Prep your grapefruit.
- Bring milk (I use 1/2 c original almond milk and 1/2 c water) to a boil, add oats, and reduce heat to medium. (If using chia or flax seeds, add now. I recommend chia.)
- Add in your grapefruit segments and stir until they break apart. (I also saved some segments for the topping.)
- Once more of the liquid has absorbed, add lemon juice and salt. Stir.
- Dice in avocado and fold into oatmeal.
- When you're pleased with the consistency of the oatmeal, transfer to a bowl. Add a splash of your milk of choice and any other additional toppings (more avocado, shredded coconut, nuts, etc.). I used pepitas.