There are some things that you just accept you will never have again as a vegan. However, innovative companies and restaurants are increasingly proving me wrong. In the past year or two, I have had some incredible mozzarella sticks, chicken and waffles, fried fish fillets, cheesy grits, croissants, cupcakes, snickerdoodle cookies, pepperoni pizza pockets, scrambled eggs, mac and cheese, milkshakes, caramels, and tiramisu–all vegan.
Thus, there’s no reason vegans can’t enjoy butter pecan as well! I decided this would make a better PB2 topping than an actual porridge recipe, and instead of using butter extract, I opted for Earth Balance. But then I decided a little drop of butter extract is a nice touch, too. After trying it all three ways, I decided the version using both produced the best result.
Don’t be afraid of 1/2 tsp of a little fat and calories. Flavor and enjoyment is important, too. 🙂
Additionally, you’ll likely want to add a bit of maple syrup. Before I added the sweetener, I thought it was good. It tasted like butter. With chunks of pecans. It was fine.
But then I sweetened it up just a tad–it truly took just half a teaspoon–and it became a delectable butter pecan. Oh, and full disclosure: I don’t really remember what butter pecan tastes like. ? So try this out and tell me what you think!
I put this on top of a simple banana oatmeal, but this one is surprisingly adaptable!
- [vids] this segment from The Daily Show with Trevor Noah will help catch you up on the salary controversy with the US women’s soccer team (and maybe make you laugh)
- [reads] this hilarious post from Buzzfeed about the differences between cats and dogs
- [tunes] this performance by Kanye West of my favorite song of his, “Hey Mama,” the year his mom died
What you'll need:
- 2 tbsp plain PB2*
- 4-6 tsp water*
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 DROP (like 1/16 tsp) butter extract
- 1/2 tsp Earth Balance (vegan butter)
- 1/2 tsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp pecan pieces (roasted recommended, but raw will work)
How to make it:
- In a small bowl, add water a little at a time to the PB2. Don't add the water all at once; that way you'll be able to choose the consistency you want. I find stirring with a FORK the most effective method.
- Stir in vanilla and butter extracts and Earth Balance first, and then the maple syrup. Sweeten to taste, but I found 1/2 tsp perfect.
- Stir in the pecan pieces.
- Add to the top of your oatmeal of choice and enjoy!
Just an FYI:
*I sometimes use 3 tbsp of PB2 because 2 tbsp doesn't feel like a lot. If you do this, increase the water to 2-3 tbsp as well.