This morning, I had full intentions of making my Chocolate Strawberry Oatmeal. As I started heating up the almond milk on the stove, however, I had a sudden change of heart. I wanted something different. Something without chocolate. I’ve done the chocolate thing too much lately.
How have I not tried the strawberry-banana combo yet with oatmeal? It’s so obvious; it has to be one of the most classic flavor combinations out there!
I decided to use the strawberries as toppings instead of mixing them in/cooking them along with the oatmeal. After all, what’s the point of having fresh strawberries if I’m just going to cook them up and turn them into mush? What have I been thinking?
What you'll need:
- 1 cup milk of choice, or water
- 1/2 cup rolled oats (I use Country Choice Organic)
- 1 ripe banana
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- handful of fresh strawberries
How to make it:
- Bring milk (I use an equal mixture of almond milk and water) to a boil, add oats, and reduce heat to medium.
- Mash up the banana and add to the oatmeal. Stir. (You could also mash half and slice the other half as a topping, if your banana isn't too ripe!)
- Once more of the liquid has absorbed, add 1/2 tsp vanilla extract, a tiny pinch of salt, and 1/8 tsp of cinnamon. Stir.
- If you'd like to add any additional ingredients (coconut oil, raisins, sunflower seeds), do so now.
- When you're pleased with the consistency of the oatmeal, transfer to a bowl. Top with 4-6 diced strawberries and serve with another splash of your milk of choice and any additional toppings (shredded coconut, nuts, etc.).