The title of this recipe is slightly misleading as there is no applesauce present. I did not buy packaged strawberry applesauce, nor did I make my own. However, by cooking the apples and strawberries together with the oats, the fruits each break down and replicate the texture and flavor of strawberry applesauce naturally!
FUNemployment continues to be the best. I’ve been meeting friends for brunch.
Spending practically every free second in coffee shops forming an espresso addiction and writing, writing, writing.
Eating. And eating. And eating.
Hitting up the farmers’ markets with friends.
And how about season 3 of Orange is the New Black? I could spend hours on that topic. And then there’s my Sims 3 family. . . (Tiana had twins!)
But the best part has been the relaxing mornings: having the time to prepare high-quality oatmeal every day before my inevitable trip to the coffee shop. I wish I could have that luxury for the rest of my life. FUNemployment, never end!
- [eats] kale salad (massage it!!) with chopped apple, toasted walnuts, dried cranberries, avocado, and a tahini-maple dressing
- [people] The Script has an excellent Instagram feed considering they are middle-aged men in a rock group–extremely affable Irish gentlemen<3
- [views] Always does it again with another girl power tear-jerker #likeagirl
What you'll need:
- 1 cup milk of choice
- 1/2 cup water, or more milk
- 1 small apple or 1/2 a large one (any flavor)
- 1/2 cup quick cook steel cut oats (I use Country Choice Organic)
- 10 or more fresh strawberries, hulled and quartered
- large pinch of salt
How to make it:
- Finely dice or grate apple.
- Add liquid to a saucepan over medium heat and add diced apples. Bring it to a low boil and let the apples cook for a minute or two on their own, and then add oats.
- Reduce heat to medium low (it should be at a simmer).
- Dice strawberries (the smaller, the better, in my opinion) and add to the oatmeal along with the salt.
- If you want to add the vanilla extract and cinnamon, do so now [see notes below].
- When you're pleased with the consistency of the oatmeal, transfer to two bowls. Add a splash of milk, more strawberries or apples, or other additional toppings (nuts, dried fruit, coconut, etc.).
Just an FYI:
*Strawberry applesauce is traditionally very tart. For an earthier flavor, add 1/2 tsp vanilla extract and 1/2 tsp cinnamon