It may look like a calm, traditional brownie (or at least the baked oatmeal version of one), but this brownie is feisty. He’s maybe even a little vicious.
Of course, you have control over his viciousness. You could just give him a little bit of bite. OR you could be like me and drop three generous pinches of cayenne pepper into the batter. It’s up to you.
If you liked my Mexican Hot Chocolate Oatmeal, then you will enjoy this recipe. It’s the brownie version.
It also happens to go BEAUTIFULLY with ice cream, just FYI.
[This recipe was updated on 5/31/2015 to include a zucchini option. Happy breakfasting!]
What you'll need:
- 1/3 a ripe avocado, or 1/4 cup pureed zucchini
- 1/3 cup milk of choice, or water
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1-2 tsp maple syrup (adjust to preferences)
- 1 heaping tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- rounded 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- pinch or two of cayenne (optional)
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup rolled oats (I use Country Choice Organic)
How to make it:
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and spray a single-serving ramekin with non-stick spray.
- Mix together avocado, milk, vanilla extract, maple syrup, cocoa powder, spices, and salt by either pureeing in a mini food processor or mashing thoroughly with a fork (lengthy process, but gets the job done).
- To keep regular texture of oats, simply stir in along with baking powder. For a texture that's more typical of a brownie, add to the food processor and puree.
- Transfer to the ramekin and bake for 22-25 minutes.