St. Patrick’s Day is eight days away! Regular readers of the blog will know that Ireland has a special place in my heart. I have only left North America once, and that was a study abroad program in Ireland. You could say it was love at first sight.
Thus, every year on St. Patrick’s Day, nostalgia kicks in and I swoon over all the Irish love.
This recipe is, obviously, a spin off McDonald’s shamrock milkshake. But better–there is no added sugar! Just bananas. I adore the use of oats in my smoothies because the soluble fiber slows down the digestion, so it’s not just one quick, massive hit of sugar. I find oat smoothies to be much easier on my sensitive stomach.
I generally make my smoothies on the thicker side, to the point where it is just banana nice cream. However, for this recipe, I made it thinner like a traditional smoothie. You can play with the liquid proportions based on how you prefer the consistency of your smoothie. In fact, you can play with anything in the recipe; smoothie recipes are extremely flexible.
- [vids] I’ve recommended other ambiance videos before. Here are Harry Potter themed ones! Ride Hogwarts Express, or relax at The Burrow.
- [eats] I’m dying to make these vegan lemon bars by Minimalist Baker. Someday.
What you'll need:
- 1 and 1/2 frozen bananas (I like to peel and slice before freezing)
- 3/4 cup water or milk
- 1/2 cup packed spinach, stems removed
- 3/4 tsp peppermint extract
- 2 tbsp avocado, optional
- 1/4 cup oats (quick or rolled) (I used BetterOats organic quick oats)
- pinch of salt
How to make it:
- Blend all ingredients together until creamy. Enjoy!
Just an FYI:
Use less liquid for a thicker smoothie!