Assembling that peanut butter post last month really made me crave some fancy nut butters. But daaaaang, they’re so expensive! I’ve found some jars for nearly $20. No thanks. Especially not on my measly student loans.
I’ve recently started consoling myself by making my own fancy flavors. Technically, you can do this with any nut butter, especially a brand that stirs easily. However, PB2 is easy to work with because you can make it as thin or thick as you’d like, so it’s super easy to mix in other ingredients. Or, you can do what I like to do: use half-PB2 and half-traditional peanut butter. Boom.
I have many PB2 recipes coming for you, but here’s the first: crushed pretzel pieces and specks of coarse salt. It works well with Applesauce Oatmeal, Sweet Potato Fudge Oatmeal, and Zucchini Nut Bread Oatmeal. And basically anything. It’s surprisingly versatile.
PB2/Bell Plantation is a partner of mine, but all opinions are my own.
- [vids] Watch Kendrick Lamar’s performance from the Grammy’s!
- [tunes] The original soundtrack for The Theory of Everything is one of the most beautiful things I’ve ever listened to. I can’t get enough.
What you'll need:
- 2 heaping tbsp plain PB2
- 2 tbsp water (plus more as needed)
- 1/8 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 pretzels, crushed
- pinch of coarse salt (needs to be coarse!)
- optional: 1/4 tsp coconut oil (adds incredible flavor)
How to make it:
- In a small bowl, add water a little at a time to the PB2. Don't add the water all at once; that way you'll be able to choose the consistency you want.
- If adding optional coconut oil, stir in now.
- Stir in vanilla extract. If the mixture gets too thick, add a few drops more water (less than a teaspoon!!).
- Stir in crushed pretzels and a pinch of coarse salt.
- Add to the top of your oatmeal of choice and enjoy!