I’ve learned the secret. If you ever make oatmeal that doesn’t turn out as spectacular as you’d hoped, just add SALT. Salt that sucker! Mix in salt, and sprinkle some more on top!
Much to my grief last week, I discovered that chocolate and pear just wasn’t doing anything for me. To be honest, I was just super annoyed at the pears. I’m so over pears! They are potentially my least favorite fruit. I’m done with them.
But then I salted it, and everything changed.
Well, not everything. I still think pears suck. However, at least I had some fantastic oatmeal!
I suppose salted oatmeal isn’t for everyone, but I highly suggest that everyone tries it at least once. It’s a new and delicious experience. Who doesn’t love sweet-and-salty combinations? Personally, chocolate-covered pretzels are one of my favorite treats during the holidays.
What you'll need:
- 3/4 cup milk of choice, or water
- 1/4 cup quick cook steel-cut oats (I use Country Choice Organic)
- 1 pear
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 tsp cocoa powder
- 1/8 tsp salt, plus more for topping
How to make it:
- Bring milk (I use 1/2 c almond milk and 1/4 c water) to a boil, add oats, and reduce heat to medium. (If you'd like to add a teaspoon of flax or chia seeds, do so now.)
- Dice pear and immediately add to oatmeal.
- Once more of the liquid has absorbed, add vanilla extract, cocoa powder, and salt. Stir.
- When you're pleased with the consistency of the oatmeal, transfer to a bowl. Add a splash of your milk of choice, another pinch of salt, and any other additional toppings (chocolate chips, sliced almonds, etc.).