Is this a new recipe? Kind of. Okay, not really.
However, it’s been so long since I’ve experienced my Pumpkin Spice Latte Oatmeal, and I wanted to celebrate it. To make this version special, I added steamed milk, which is a nice wink to the actual “latte” side of this recipe.
Unfortunately, I used almond milk for this recipe, and almond milk is not great for making steamed milk. Look how unfrothy it is. 🙁 If you want to flood your oatmeal with steamed milk, I highly recommend soy milk. It froths up so beautifully! My almond milk just formed a couple bubbles, as you can see.
This weekend I enjoyed a day trip to Rhode Island. It was on my bucket list to enjoy the fall foliage in New England…as well as to visit Rhode Island.
I went apple picking, so prepare yourself: ten billion apple recipes are on their way!
And be sure to check out the post for the original Pumpkin Spice Latte Oatmeal!
What you'll need:
- 1 cup milk of choice, or water
- 1/2 cup rolled oats (I use Country Choice Organic)
- 1/3 cup pumpkin puree
- heaping 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- heaping 1/2 tsp instant coffee granules
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- pinch of salt
- more milk of choice for topping (soy recommended)
How to make it:
- Bring milk (I used 1/2 cup almond milk and 1/2 cup water) to a boil, add oats, and reduce heat to medium.
- Once more of the liquid has dissolved, add pumpkin puree, pumpkin pie spice, coffee granules, a pinch of salt, and maple syrup. Stir. Adjust amount of sweetener as necessary.
- When you're pleased with the consistency of the oatmeal, transfer to a bowl.
- If you have a milk frother, steam your milk (soy froths up the best) and pour over oatmeal.
- Finish with any additional toppings of your choice (I added almonds and almond butter after taking the pictures--super good!).
Just an FYI:
Soy milk froths up the best. Almond milk works, but it becomes more bubbly than frothy. If you don't have a milk frother, you can just heat up some milk. It just won't be frothy.