Since Citrus Pear Oatmeal was a success, I decided I could give it another go, this time with chocolate. 😉
I’m currently relaxing at my family’s home in Minnesota, so I won’t make this post very long. But if you like Citrus Pear Oatmeal, or you like those orange chocolate thingies, this oatmeal will have a lot of flavors you will enjoy. And it’s easy, too!
I made it using orange extract because I find oranges are hard to pull flavors from when it comes to porridge. However, you could definitely try to make this with orange juice or fresh oranges. If you do this, comment below how you did it and how it turned out!
- [vids] the SNL skit “Jingle Barack“
What you'll need:
- 3/4 cup milk of choice, or water*
- 1/4 cup quick cook steel cut oats*
- 1/2 a pear (or a full)
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp orange extract
- pinch of salt
How to make it:
- Add liquid to a saucepan over medium heat.
- Cube and semi-smash the pear, leaving some chunks. Add pear to saucepan.
- When liquid comes to a low boil, add oats, and reduce heat to a simmer. (If you'd like to add a teaspoon of flax or chia seeds, do so now.)
- While oats are cooking, continue smashing some of the pear pieces with your spatula.
- Once more of the liquid has absorbed, add cocoa powder, orange extract, and salt. Stir.
- When you're pleased with the consistency of the oatmeal, transfer to a bowl. Add a splash of your milk of choice any other additional toppings (chocolate chips, coconut, pecans, nut butter, etc.).
Just an FYI:
*You can make this with rolled or quick oats by increasing the liquid to 3/4 cup and the oats to 1/2 cup.