I can’t believe I have less than a month of school left! That means summer is right around the corner. I know it has already started for many of you, but here in grand ol’ New York City, the school year stretches on and on and on until the end of June (madness!!).
This recipe oozes with summer vibes. It reminds me of sitting on some back porch, sipping iced tea. I’ve been wanting to make this for a while, and as soon as the peaches showed up at my produce market (far too early to truly be in season, but whatever), I hopped to it.
I’m often disappointed at how peaches don’t carry too much of their flavor in oatmeal. This was delicious because peach iced tea is supposed to just have a subtle peach flavor, so it was perfect. However, if you want more peach flavor, you could try stirring in peach juice!
What food are you most looking forward to this summer? I can’t wait to get my hands on some sweet corn. 🙂
What you'll need:
- 1 cup water
- 1 or 2 tea bags of standard black tea (like Lipton)
- 1/2 cup rolled oats (I use Country Choice Organic)
- 1 peach (yellow is best, but white will work)
- 1 tsp maple syrup (optional, but recommended)
- splash of lemon juice
- pinch of salt
How to make it:
- Bring water to a boil, add the tea bags, and turn heat off. Let sit for about ten minutes.
- Meanwhile, peel and dice your peach.
- Return heat to medium, add oats, and let it simmer. (If you'd like to add a teaspoon of flax or chia seeds, do so now.)
- Add peach immediately and stir.
- Once more of the liquid has absorbed, add maple syrup, lemon juice, and salt. Stir.
- Optional tip: Cook the oatmeal until it almost seems too dry. Then, add a splash of milk of choice (I used almond milk) and stir. This makes a delightfully creamy oatmeal!
- Transfer to a bowl and add any additional toppings (shredded coconut, nuts, etc.). As you can see, I used toasted coconut.