Sometimes, I write these posts shortly after I’ve finished eating the oatmeal. Sometimes, I write it weeks after the last time I ate it. And sometimes, like right now, I write it while I’m eating it.That’s how you know it’s good.
It’s like, I taste the first bite and think, “I gotta tell everyone how good this is!” I race to my laptop, set the oatmeal aside, and take lustful bites each time I finish a sentence (like right now. Mmmm..).
If cherries were cheaper, and peaches were in season all year..
…this porridge would be a weekly occurrence. 🙂
What you'll need:
- 1 cup milk of choice, or water
- 1/2 cup regular rolled oats (I use Country Choice Organic)
- 1 yellow peach, diced
- 5 or more fresh cherries (dried cherries work, too)
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
- dash of cinnamon (optional)
- pinch of salt
- sliced almonds for topping
How to make it:
- Bring milk (I use 1/2 c almond milk and 1/2 c water) to a boil, add oats, and reduce heat to medium. (If you'd like to add flax or chia seeds, do so now.)
- Add diced peach to the oatmeal.
- Dice at least two of your cherries into the oatmeal. I took two, cut them in half, removed the pits, and then quartered each of the halves. Stir.
- Once more of the liquid has absorbed, add vanilla extract, almond extract, optional cinnamon, and salt. Stir.
- When you're pleased with the consistency of the oatmeal, transfer to a bowl. Add a splash of your milk of choice, remaining cherries (halved), sliced almonds, and any other additional toppings (shredded coconut, nuts, etc.).