When I was younger, my family and I could eat through a gallon of ice cream within a few days. My dad and I would eat bowl after bowl in one sitting. The favorite in our household was plain old vanilla (usually topped with chocolate syrup). However, sometimes my mom got “fancy” and bought us Orange Blossom.
If you don’t know what that is, it’s vanilla ice cream swirled with orange sherbet. Mmmmm. It’s the ice cream version of orange “dreamsicle,” which I believe is one of the world’s best flavors. 🙂
I spent a while tweaking this recipe in my head before I put it to practice. I badly wanted it to be vegan, and I wasn’t willing to compromise that. It wasn’t until recently (when I moved to the east coast) that I found access to affordable nondairy yogurt, and I realized it was the perfect missing link to this recipe.
What you'll need:
- 1/2 cup rolled oats (I use Country Choice Organic)
- 1/3 cup milk of choice
- 1/4 cup vanilla-flavored yogurt (I like Amande almond yogurt for this)
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- pinch of salt
- 1 orange
How to make it:
- Combine all ingredients except the orange in a mason jar.
- Run a paring knife along the edges of the orange segments, and then spoon/cut out the segments into the mason jar.
- If you'd like to add any extra ingredients (coconut oil, dried fruit, nuts, sunflower seeds), do so now.
- Cover, and shake vigorously!
- Store in the fridge for several hours or overnight. Eat cold.