You guys, the worst thing ever happened. I came up with this amazing idea for a baked oatmeal, only to discover that somebody else beat me to it by a matter of days. Days!! Bummer. I literally said to my mother, “I have this idea for oatmeal using zucchini, carrots, and apple,” and two hours later, I stumbled on Oatgasm’s post on Foodgawker. I was distraught!
On the other hand, I was able to use Oatgasm’s recipe to help create my own version, especially when it came to the spices. I’ve never personally experienced a Morning Glory Muffin, so I appreciated the assistance. However, I did do some tweaking to meet my preferences (like how I never have applesauce on hand). And, since Oatgasm mastered the baked version, I decided to bring you the stove-top version. Want it baked? Go to her. Want it on the stove? I gotcha covered.
May I recommend giving both versions a shot? What else will you do with the rest of the zucchini, anyway? 🙂
What you'll need:
- 1/4 cup zucchini, shredded
- 1/4 cup carrots, shredded
- 1/2 an apple, shredded
- 1 cup milk of choice, or water
- 1/2 cup regular rolled oats (I use Country Choice Organic)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp molasses (I used Blackstrap)
- pinch of nutmeg
- pinch of salt
How to make it:
- To shred zucchini, carrot, and apple, I recommend using a food processor with a shredding attachment. It will make your life so much easier! If not, a cheese grater works. You can also dice the apple if shredded is too difficult.
- On the stove, bring milk (I used 1/2 c original almond milk and 1/2 c water) to a boil, add oats, and reduce heat to medium. If you want to add flax or chia seed, do so now. I recommend flax.
- Add zucchini, carrots, and apple immediately and stir.
- Once more of the liquid has absorbed, add cinnamon, vanilla, molasses, nutmeg, and salt. Taste and add sweetener (like maple syrup) if necessary. If you'd like, you could also add dried fruit (raisins) or nuts (walnuts) at this time.
- When you're pleased with the consistency of the oatmeal, transfer to a bowl. Add a splash of your milk of choice, and any other additional toppings you prefer (raisins, diced apple, nuts, etc.).