This may not be the best way to open this post, but I’m not completely “won over” by matcha. I’m not even exactly sure what it is. ^_^ It’s a green tea powder with a very unique taste. You can find it in lattes (green tea latte), in candy, and in ice cream. My favorite is the last one.
I decided to buy some to try for my oatmeal. As I did my research, I learned that quality matters. Matcha powder can be pretty pricey, but don’t settle for a cheap one. Read the reviews before you buy; some can have an off-putting flavor.
Matcha powder also requires a small amount of sweetener. Just trust me on this one. As someone who has tried to endure it unsweetened multiple times….no. Just no.
What you'll need:
- 1 cup milk of choice (or water)
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned oats (I use Country Choice Organic)
- 1/3 cup pureed or shredded zucchini or yellow squash*
- 1 tbsp matcha green tea powder
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- pinch of salt
How to make it:
- Bring milk (I used 1/2 cup almond milk and 1/2 cup water) to a boil, add oats, and reduce heat to medium. (If you’d like to add a teaspoon of flax or chia seeds, do so now.)
- Add pureed squash. Stir occasionally.
- Once more of the liquid has absorbed, add green tea powder, maple syrup, and salt. Stir.
- When you’re pleased with the consistency of the oatmeal, transfer to a bowl. Possible toppings: coconut, almonds, macadamia nuts, almond butter, berries.
Just an FYI:
*Squash is for texture and nutritional reasons. Feel free to omit.