MARZIPAN. Chocolate-covered marzipan, to be exact. The marzipan flavor of Ritter Sport chocolate is the ONLY vegan one. They have other dark chocolate varieties, but for some reason, only this one is vegan. I don’t get it, but I won’t complain; this chocolate bar is one of my favorite treats.
This chocolate-covered marzipan is joined with some fresh cherries (they’re in season now!!) and sprinkled atop a fudgy, almond-flavored porridge. The almond echoes and enhances the marzipan theme, so even if you only have a bit of the chocolate-covered marzipan on top, each bite will still be reminiscent of this almond confection.
I have wanted to put marzipan in oatmeal for a LONG time. Whenever I really pursued the idea seriously, I would realize that 1) you can’t buy SMALL packages of marzipan, and 2) it is literal candy, not just a fancy nut butter. My commitment would quickly wither away. What was I going to do with a 16 oz tub of marzipan? (I’m neither a baker nor a confectioner, after all.)
Then there’s the fact that marzipan is kind of a fancy ingredient and not everyone wants to pay lots of $$$ to try one recipe. I even considered making a small batch of it from scratch, but I know posting a single-serve recipe that starts by making homemade marzipan would not go over well on the blog.
So Ritter Sport it is. This is perfect because you only have to pay about $3 for the bar (as opposed to $9 for a full can of marzipan) and you get to eat the chocolate later. 😉 I’m aware that the can of marzipan is probably cheaper per ounce, but this becomes a moot point if you can’t finish the marzipan and it just rots in your fridge. Plus the CHOCOLATE MELTS on the hot oatmeal and there is NOTHING BETTER than that!
- [vids] Hasan Minhaj’s “Homecoming King” special on Netflix
- [reads] “The Gender Pay Gap is Largely Because of Motherhood” via NYTimes
What you'll need:
- 3/4 cup milk of choice or water*
- 1/4 cup quick cook steel cut oats*
- 1/2 a very ripe banana, mashed
- 1/3 cup cherries, chopped and pitted (fresh or frozen)
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
- 4 tsp cocoa powder (or 1 rounded tbsp)
- Pinch of salt
- 2-4 squares (or more) of Ritter Sport Marzipan chocolate
How to make it:
- Bring milk (I used 1/2 c cashew milk and 1/4 c water) to a boil, add oats, and reduce heat to medium. (If you'd like to add flax or chia seeds, do so now.)
- Stir in mashed banana and HALF of the cherries. Stir occasionally for about three minutes.
- Once more of the liquid has absorbed, add almond extract, cocoa powder, and salt. Stir.
- When you're pleased with the consistency of the oatmeal, transfer to a bowl. Add a splash of your milk of choice, the remainder of the cherries, the Ritter Sport Marzipan squares, and any other additional toppings (more cherry, nuts, etc.).
Just an FYI:
*You can make this with rolled or quick oats by increasing the liquid to 1 cup and the oats to 1/2 cup.