Today marks the start of my final week in the Midwest. I must say I’m eager to return to the East Coast and ride subways to my heart’s desire. And eat brunch in the Upper West Side. And shop at Trader Joe’s. And read in Central Park. And all that good stuff.
I enjoyed an excellent morning in Minnesota today, though. I visited the farmer’s market, which is small but mighty. Only four vendors had set up under the picnic shelter of the lakeside park. However, I was pleasantly surprised by the selection this week. Despite only having four vendors, the variety was impressive: fresh breads and baked goods, maple syrup and goodies made with it (maple butter!), and two “typical” produce vendors.
One of these vendors offered enormous containers of blueberries. “Ugh!” I exclaimed when I saw them. “I’m very upset. I just made oatmeal for breakfast and I had to use frozen blueberries. I should have come here first.”
Naturally, I bought a pint, so prepare yourself for a slew of blueberry recipes. 😉
What you'll need:
- 1 cup milk of choice, or water
- 1/2 cup regular rolled oats (I use Country Choice Organic)
- 1 ripe banana
- juice of one lemon (~3 tbsp), or 1/2 tsp lemon extract
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup fresh blueberries
How to make it:
- Bring milk (I use 1/2 c almond milk and 1/2 c water) to a boil, add oats, and reduce heat to medium. (If you'd like to add flax or chia seeds, do so now.)
- Mash the banana thoroughly and stir into oatmeal.
- Once more of the liquid has absorbed, add lemon juice/extract and salt. Stir.
- When you're pleased with the consistency of the oatmeal, transfer to a bowl. Add a splash of your milk of choice, blueberries, and any other additional toppings (shredded coconut, nuts, etc.).