Last week, I talked about how crazy my life was as a teacher. I’m happy to announce that I’m slowly getting my “ish” together. I enjoyed a lovely 15 hours grading essays over the weekend (yippee), but besides that, I’m feeling things slowing down.
Anyway, this recipe features an odd assortment of ingredients. Essentially, I was inspired by green. I can’t remember how this recipe started in my imagination, but I simply kept adding on to it with more green things. It continued to morph as it went through the process. Even when I first made it, I decided to add lemon extract at the last second. No regrets–the touch of citrus made these ingredients dance. Lime juice might be pleasant, too.
I wish I had purchased raw pistachios; they would have made the picture look much more appetizing (and green)! Unfortunately, I wasn’t paying close enough attention during my sprint through Trader Joe’s. 🙂
What you'll need:
- 3/4 cup milk of choice, or water
- 1/4 cup quick cook steel-cut oats (I use Country Choice Organic)
- 1/2 a green apple, diced
- 1/16 tsp lemon extract
- pinch of salt
- 1 kiwi, peeled
- handful of pistachios
How to make it:
- Bring milk (I use 1/2 c almond milk and 1/4 c water) to a boil, add oats, and reduce heat to medium. (If you'd like to add a teaspoon of flax or chia seeds, do so now.)
- Add green apple to saucepan immediately.
- Once more of the liquid has absorbed, add lemon extract and salt. Stir. Dice in the kiwi (I saved some for topping).
- When you're pleased with the consistency of the oatmeal, transfer to a bowl. Add a splash of your milk of choice, remaining kiwi, and pistachios.