I wish coffee shops would stop bastardizing chai.
You know what I mean. You know exactly what I mean. The standard coffee shop version of chai tea comes in powdered form and is full of sugar. It gives me absolutely no control over ingredients. With other drink selections, I can request soy milk or only one pump of flavor. With chai tea, I’m stuck with the powdered sugarfest.
Thus, I rarely order it. Instead, I try to recreate it in my oatmeal. 🙂 In case you’re not familiar with a dirty chai, it’s basically chai with a shot of espresso. This is how my friend Tiffany often ordered it, and I would always have a sip or two. Mmmmm.
What you'll need:
- 2/3 cup strong brewed coffee (I used cold press!)
- 1/3 cup milk of choice
- 1/2 cup rolled oats (I use Country Choice Organic)
- 1/2 a ripe banana
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp cardamom (I didn't have this, so I made it without)
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of ground cloves
- pinch of nutmeg
- pinch of salt
How to make it:
- Bring coffee and milk to a boil, add oats, and reduce heat to medium.
- Mash up banana and add to the oatmeal. Stir.
- Once more of the liquid has absorbed, add vanilla extract, spices, and salt.
- If you'd like to add any extra ingredients (coconut oil, nuts), do so now.
- When you're pleased with the consistency of the oatmeal, transfer to a bowl. Serve with another splash of your milk of choice (and/or more coffee) and any other additional toppings (shredded coconut, nuts, chocolate chips, etc.).