Coconut butter is THE most luxurious ingredient in the entire world. More luxurious than pomegranates. More luxurious than pistachios. More luxurious than dark chocolate.
(Let me get one thing straight: coconut butter is NOT better than peanut butter. However, because coconut butter is a rarity for me, it is more exciting and special. But in the end…peanut butter FTW!)
I haven’t been doing much with coconut lately, and I’ve decided to get back into it. Instead of just using coconut milk and coconut flakes, I’ve been dreaming up several recipes with coconut butter…because, well, it’s the absolute best form of coconut.
I have also wanted to use more kiwi lately. Some people have alerted me to the fact that it’s actually called “kiwifruit,” and that “kiwi” is the name of a tropical bird, but eff that. I’m not calling it “kiwifruit.” Who actually goes around calling it “kiwifruit?” That’s nonsense, and I refuse to partake in it. #america
What you'll need:
- 1/2 cup coconut milk (preferably from the carton, not the can)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup quick cook steel-cut oats (I use Country Choice Organic)
- 2 kiwis
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice (optional)
- pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp coconut butter OR handful of coconut flakes
How to make it:
- Bring coconut milk and water to a boil, add oats, and reduce heat to medium. (If you'd like to add a teaspoon of flax or chia seeds, do so now.)
- Peel one of the kiwis and mash. Stir into oatmeal.
- Once more of the liquid has absorbed, add optional lemon juice and salt. Stir.
- When you're pleased with the consistency of the oatmeal, transfer to a bowl. Peel and dice the second kiwi and add to the top of your oatmeal. Top with coconut butter or flakes. Add a splash of your milk of choice and any other additional toppings (dried fruits, pomegranates, nuts, etc.).