This oatmeal is loaded with spicy flavor! All those masala chai spices mixed with cocoa creates such a unique, flavorful porridge.
Because the cocoa and chai spices are so intense, you can use banana without tasting it. For those of you who are allergic to bananas (or are just stubborn), you could also use pumpkin puree with some sweetener instead.
If you’re not a huge fan of heavily spiced recipes, try using half the amounts of each of the spices in the recipe, and then add more as you like. However, with less spices, the banana flavor may poke through. 🙂
What you'll need:
- 1 cup milk of choice, or water
- 1/2 cup rolled oats (I use Country Choice Organic)
- 1/2 ripe banana, mashed (or pumpkin puree with some maple syrup)
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/4 rounded tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp cardamom
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- pinch of cloves
- pinch of salt
How to make it:
- Bring milk (I used 1/2 cup almond milk and 1/2 cup water) to a boil, add oats, and reduce heat to medium. (If you’d like to add a teaspoon of flax or chia seeds, do so now.)
- Add mashed banana to the oatmeal.
- Once more of the liquid has absorbed, add vanilla extract, cocoa powder, spices, and salt. Stir. Steal a taste and see that it suits your preferences–everyone has specific tastes for chai. Add more spices as you see necessary (I added a dash more cinnamon because I’m a sucker for it).
- When you’re pleased with the consistency of the oatmeal, transfer to a bowl. This is delicious topped with coconut and/or sliced banana.