My mom and I bought a massive crate of strawberries last weekend. (Actually, we bought a box of peaches, too! We’re still waiting for those to ripen.) Much to our horror, they started going bad immediately. As in, we were throwing berries away by the next morning. 🙁
I’ve been making admirable attempts to salvage as many of these lovelies as possible. Naturally, I’ve been having pot after pot of strawberry-themed porridges. Duh! Yesterday, I whipped up a strawberry sorbet (which was delicious, if I do say so myself). This morning, I made this sauce!
Like always, I had the recipe planned out in my head, so I executed it as planned and gave it a taste. Whew! It was tart, mixed with bitter, and not pleasantly so. I caved and added some honey. Massive improvement. I thought the strawberries would have naturally sweetened the sauce, but I forgot that strawberries do not have the same kind of sweetness as, say, bananas or apples. You could probably try soaking a date or two and blending that into the sauce instead, but I don’t have any dates at the moment. 🙂
What you'll need:
- 3 fresh strawberries, hulled
- 2 tsp cocoa powder
- 2 tsp water or milk of choice
- 2 tsp honey or maple syrup
- pinch of salt
How to make it:
- Combine all ingredients in a small blender until pureed.
- Heat up sauce in the microwave for 10 seconds, stir, and microwave for another 10 seconds. Pour over your favorite oatmeal recipe, and enjoy!