Where, oh where, have all my carrot recipes been? Despite my deep love for carrots (and zucchini!) in oatmeal, my blog has been lacking in those recipes lately. Why? No grater. :(Well, problem solved: I finally own a grater. Expect carrot and zucchini recipes in the future. 🙂
I recently realized I have some cranberry goodies left from the holiday season. My roommate had a bag of fresh cranberries (which she said I was welcome to), and I had half a jar of Trader Joe’s cranberry sauce. Perfect!
This oatmeal has a similar taste and texture to carrot cake oatmeal, but the cranberry addition adds a tart twist. The cranberry sauce is optional (and good luck trying to find it this time of year!).
How do you feel about carrot cake? It’s actually one of my favorite desserts, but I know some people find it “offensive” to even consider putting vegetables in a cake. Who cares?? IT’S DELICIOUS!
What you'll need:
- 1 cup milk of choice, or water
- 1/2 cup rolled oats (I use Country Choice Organic)
- 1/3 cup grated carrot (measure after grating)
- handful of fresh cranberries
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of allspice
- splash of lemon or orange juice
- pinch of salt
How to make it:
- Bring milk (I use 1/2 c almond milk and 1/2 c water) to a boil, add oats, and reduce heat to medium. (If you'd like to add a teaspoon of flax or chia seeds, do so now.)
- Add cranberries and grated carrot immediately. Cover with a lid! The cranberries will pop and oatmeal will go everywhere. 🙂
- Once more of the liquid has absorbed, add maple syrup, vanilla extract, ginger, cinnamon, allspice, lemon juice, and salt. Stir.
- When you're pleased with the consistency of the oatmeal, transfer to a bowl. Add a splash of your milk of choice and any other additional toppings (cranberry sauce, shredded coconut, nuts, etc.).