There are two aspects of this recipe that I’m proud of:
- It includes blackberries. The last time I had blackberries, I thought I didn’t actually like them that much.
- It includes nondairy cream cheese. The last time I had nondairy cream cheese, I thought I didn’t actually like it that much. 😉
As it turns out, blackberries are delicious. Before, I found them annoyingly seedy. I didn’t have that problem at all this time! There were only a couple seeds, and they were smaller and less obtrusive. As for the nondairy cream cheese, I thought it tasted almost exactly like dairy cream cheese–which simply tells you how long it’s been since I’ve had dairy haha.
As for the lime, it’s a beautiful addition to this recipe. Not only does it add another depth of flavor, but it brings out the tartness of the cream cheese (which is lost a little bit in the nondairy version).
What you'll need:
- 1 cup milk of choice, or water
- 1/2 cup rolled oats (I use Country Choice Organic)
- 1 tbsp lime juice (juice of one lime; use just half the lime for more subtle lime flavor)
- 4-6 fresh blackberries
- 1 tbsp plain cream cheese spread (I used Tofutti)
- pinch of salt
How to make it:
- Bring milk (I use 1/2 c almond milk and 1/2 c water) to a boil, add oats, and reduce heat to medium. (If you'd like to add a teaspoon of flax or chia seeds, do so now.)
- Juice the lime (you can do this while you're waiting for your liquid to come to a boil, too).
- Add most of your blackberries to the saucepan; save a couple for later.
- Once more of the liquid has absorbed, add cream cheese, lime juice, and salt. Stir.
- When you're pleased with the consistency of the oatmeal, transfer to a bowl. Add a splash of your milk of choice, remaining blackberries, and any other additional toppings (shredded coconut, nuts, etc.).