Did my heart love till now? Forswear it, taste buds!
For I ne’er tasted true beauty till this week.
If I profane with my unworthiest hand
This holy shrine, the gentle sin is this:
My lips, two blushing pilgrims, ready stand
To EAT YOU.
I know I’m being incredibly overdramatic, but my confession must capture the scale of my new infatuation. This past weekend (thanks to my mother’s birthday present), I tried pepitas for the first time. I’ve had “roasted pumpkin seeds” before, but they were nothing like “pepitas.” You would think they would be equally wonderful (considering pepitas are pumpkin seeds), but there is definitely a difference, the first being that pepitas are as glorious to this night as is a winged messenger of heaven, and “roasted pumpkin seeds” are just a big pile of “meh.”
Anyway…the pepitas are but a small factor in this recipe. So small, in fact, that they are optional. The necessary ingredient is actually just labeled as “crunch factor.” I used pepitas and sliced almonds. You could use any form of nut, seed, or granola. You could even use crispy rice or wheat bran cereal! However, I believe it’s only fair to let you in on the secret that PEPITAS ARE WONDROUS CREATURES.
You can also create this oatmeal sans chocolate chips, if you wish. The berries and “crunch factors” can hold their own!
What you'll need:
- 1 cup milk of choice, or water
- 1/2 cup regular rolled oats
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/8 cup "crunch factor" (see comments above)
- handful of chocolate chips
How to make it:
- Bring milk (I use 1/2 c original almond milk and 1/2 c water) to a boil, add oats, and reduce heat to medium. (If you'd like to add flax or chia seeds, do so now. I added flax.)
- Once more of the liquid has absorbed, add vanilla extract, cinnamon, and salt. Stir.
- Carefully fold in blueberries.
- Add in HALF of your "crunch factor" items and carefully stir them in. (If using a cereal that could get soggy, do not do this step. Add them only at the end as a topping.)
- When you're pleased with the consistency of the oatmeal, transfer to a bowl. Top with remaining "crunch factor" items, chocolate chips, and another another splash of your milk of choice. You could also top with more blueberries.
Swap blueberries for your other favorite berries, like strawberries, cherries, or raspberries. You could even use a mixture of berries for the ultimate berry extravaganza!