Whenever I make a recipe with coconut, I become angry with myself for not doing so more often. Coconut is so…perfect in every way. Buttery, rich, flavorful. So great.
This oatmeal combines the lovely combination of almonds and coconut, like my Almond Joy Oatmeal. It also contains a hidden banana, so I guess you could say they’re close cousins. The difference is this one tastes a little healthier (without the chocolate, and the addition of fresh berries)! However, these cousins are equally tasty. 🙂
This oatmeal will be the best and most flavorful if made with coconut milk (preferably the “coconut milk beverage” that comes in the 1/2 gallon jugs), but any milk, or even water, will suffice. Happy eating!
What you'll need:
- 1 cup milk of choice (preferably coconut), or water
- 1/2 cup rolled oats (I use Country Choice Organic)
- 1/2 a ripe banana (optional, can replace with maple syrup or other liquid sweetener)
- 1/2 tsp almond extract, or more to taste
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup your favorite berry (or a mix)
- handful of shredded coconut or coconut chips
How to make it:
- Bring milk (I use 1/2 c almond milk and 1/2 c water) to a boil, add oats, and reduce heat to medium. (If you'd like to add a teaspoon of flax or chia seeds, do so now.)
- Mash banana thoroughly and add to the saucepan.
- Once more of the liquid has absorbed, add almond extract, and salt. Stir.
- Stir the berries into the oatmeal. (If you use strawberries, you'll want to to cut them first.)
- Taste. If you still taste bananas, add another splash of almond extract. Repeat until satisfied.
- When you're pleased with the consistency of the oatmeal, transfer to a bowl. Add a splash of coconut milk, coconut, more berries if desired, and any other additional toppings (sliced almonds, dried fruit, etc.).