Yep. I’m insane. Or genius. Not sure which.
This porridge contains ALL the flavors of the classic banana split. However, unlike the typical massive dessert found in diners, THIS banana split is healthy AND vegan! Don’t act like you’re not impressed. 😉
This is a far stretch from an easy, everyday, whip-it-up-before-racing-out-the-door breakfast. I mean, it’s certainly not difficult; it’s not like making an elaborate pan of frosted cinnamon rolls! It just has some more steps and ingredients than the majority of my recipes.
Saturday morning brunch, anyone? 🙂
One final note: if you have a large appetite, you will definitely appreciate this recipe! However, if you, like me, prefer smaller portions, be warned that this can end up being a large serving if you’re not careful. After all, you’re using a full banana PLUS strawberries and pineapple on top. If you don’t care about the presentation, you can skip the banana tips on the sides; just use half the banana and mash it into the oatmeal.
What you'll need:
- 1 cup milk of choice, or water
- 1/2 cup rolled oats (I use Country Choice Organic)
- 1 ripe banana
- 4 tsp cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- 3-5 fresh strawberries, hulled and quartered
- 1/4 cup fresh pineapple (or thawed frozen pineapple), diced
How to make it:
- Bring milk (I use an equal mixture of almond milk and water) to a boil, add oats, and reduce heat to medium. (If you'd like to add flax or chia seeds, do so now. I recommend chia.)
- Cut the banana into thirds. Set the two ends aside for later. Take the middle segment and mash it with a fork. Add to the oatmeal and stir.
- Once more of the liquid has absorbed, add cocoa powder, vanilla, and salt. Stir.
- If you'd like to add any extra ingredients (coconut oil, dried fruit, nuts, sunflower seeds), do so now.
- Prepare your bowl. Place banana tips on opposite sides of the bowl. If you want, you can cut them in half lengthwise (I didn't).
- When you're pleased with the consistency of the oatmeal, spoon it into your dish on top of the bananas. On one half, top with strawberries. On the other half, top with pineapple. Add another splash of your milk of choice and any other additional toppings (shredded coconut, nuts, a cherry, etc.). You could also top with some delicious banana soft serve for a truly decadent--yet oh-so-healthy--breakfast!