Sometimes I work so hard trying to think of interesting flavor combinations that I miss the most obvious ones. I’m constantly trying to dream up great ideas for pomegranates, and when I thought of bananas, I felt a little silly. How could I have missed that? Banana + any other fruit = happiness.
Some of you have already noticed my love affair of bananas. I seriously cannot hide it. I’m in love with the flavor (I didn’t use to be!), I appreciate how it makes my body feel, and I adore the texture it adds to oatmeal. Complain all you want, banana-haters, but I’ll continue to pump out recipes with bananas. 🙂
This recipe is intriguing because the pomegranates add a delightful crunch and burst of bright flavor to an otherwise standard oatmeal. As always, simplicity wins!
What you'll need:
- 1 cup milk of choice, or water
- 1/2 cup rolled oats (I use Country Choice Organic)
- 1 ripe banana
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup pomegranate arils
How to make it:
- Bring milk (I use 1/2 c almond milk and 1/2 c water) to a boil, add oats, and reduce heat to medium. (If you'd like to add a teaspoon of flax or chia seeds, do so now.)
- Cut the banana in half. Mash one half and add to the oatmeal. Set the other half aside for later.
- Once more of the liquid has absorbed, add vanilla extract, cinnamon, and salt. Stir.
- Stir in pomegranate arils.
- When you're pleased with the consistency of the oatmeal, transfer to a bowl. Slice remaining banana half on top. Add a splash of your milk of choice and any other additional toppings (shredded coconut, nuts, etc.).