I’ve only made breakfast quinoa once or twice. It was delicious, but it always bothered me how one serving is only 1/4 a cup (as opposed to 1/2 cup of oats, which feels giant in comparison).
I found a solution: an oat-quinoa hybrid! I had no idea what to expect, but I really enjoyed it. The texture and taste were oddly reminiscent of rice pudding.
The only downfall is that it’s a slight pain to prepare, due to the longer cooking time of the quinoa. You can side step this by preparing a bunch ahead of time, or nuking it in the microwave (it only takes about five or six minutes in the microwave).
What you'll need:
- 1 cup milk of choice
- 1/8 cup quinoa
- 1/4 cup rolled oats (I use Country Choice Organic)
- 1 ripe banana
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of salt
How to make it:
- Bring approximately 1/2 cup of milk to a boil and add quinoa. Return to a boil and reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer for 12 minutes.
- Add the oats and another 1/2 cup milk. Turn heat to medium.
- Mash up a ripe banana and add to the oatmeal. Stir.
- Once more of the liquid has absorbed, add vanilla extract, a tiny pinch of salt, and cinnamon. Stir.
- If you'd like to add any extra ingredients (coconut oil, dried fruit, nuts, sunflower seeds), do so now.
- When you're pleased with the consistency of the oatmeal, transfer to a bowl. Serve with another splash of your milk of choice and any other additional toppings (shredded coconut, nuts, etc.). I added a dash of nutmeg on top. Num!