I must admit that I’ve been pining to incorporate sweet potatoes into my porridge again all summer. I somehow managed to resist until the end of August (when I made my Sweet Potato & Soyrizo Oatmeal), and here I am again, writing up another sweet potato post.
What I find especially charming about sweet potatoes is its versatility. It functions beautifully in both savory and sweet recipes. Last week, I showed how to make it savory (with the soyrizo). Now, I paired it with apple and earthy apple pie spices to bring out its dessert-like qualities.
I used half an apple for the recipe, which I’ve been trying to avoid lately. I know it’s incredibly annoying to have to work with half an apple, but sweet potatoes and apples are both filling, and using both of them at the same time can create a massive bowl of porridge. If you want, feel free to use a whole apple, but I knew it would overload me, so I chose to use half.
What you'll need:
- 1 cup milk of choice
- 1/2 cup rolled oats (I use Country Choice Organic)
- 1/2 an apple
- 1 small sweet potato, peeled, cooked, and mashed
- 1/2 tsp apple pie spice
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp blackstrap molasses
- pinch of salt
How to make it:
- Add milk (I use 1/2 c original almond milk and 1/2 c water) to a saucepan, bring to a boil, add oats, and reduce heat to medium.
- Immediately dice the half of an apple into the oatmeal and stir.
- Wait about two minutes to allow more of the liquid in the oatmeal to absorb. Then, add sweet potato, apple pie spice, vanilla extract, molasses, and salt. Stir.
- When you’re pleased with the consistency of the oatmeal, transfer to a bowl. Add another splash of milk and any other additional toppings (raisins, dried cranberries, pecans, maple syrup, etc.).