Yep, I already have an Almond Joy Oatmeal. I KNOW. This isn’t an “improved” recipe, either. The other one was already perfect. I just came up with a different way to make it.
(To be honest, I just wanted to eat more chocolate PB2.)
Okay, so how does this compare to the original? Instead of a chocolate base, this version focuses on a creamy almond base. Then, in addition to almonds and coconut, this version is topped with chocolate PB2.
I like this version when I want something dessert-ish, but my stomach is being fussy. Sometimes porridge with lots of cocoa powder gives me tummy trouble (only occasionally, thankfully). It’s also great when I want peanut butter. Which is always. 🙂
What you'll need:
- 1 cup milk of choice, or water
- 1/2 cup rolled oats (I use Country Choice Organic)
- 1 (or just 1/2) ripe or overripe banana
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- pinch of salt
- 1 serving chocolate PB2*
- slivered/sliced almonds for serving
- shredded coconut for serving
How to make it:
- Bring milk (I use an equal mixture of almond milk and water) to a boil, add oats, and reduce heat to medium. (If you’d like to add flax or chia seeds, do so now. I recommend flax.)
- Mash up banana and add to the oatmeal. Stir.
- Once more of the liquid has dissolved, add almond extract and a tiny pinch of salt Stir.
- When you’re pleased with the consistency of the oatmeal, transfer to a bowl. Top with PB2, almonds, and shredded coconut. Add another splash of your milk of choice and any other additional toppings (chocolate chips, fruit, etc.).
Just an FYI:
*You can also add 1/4 tsp cocoa powder to regular PB2. Add sweetener if necessary.