Consider this more an homage to the real deal. Actual tres leches cake involves a ton of dairy ingredients that is elusive to us humble vegans. I know there are recipes for vegan sweetened condensed milk out there, but my motto is always simplicity. Considering I already had to soak cashews for this recipe, I’m not about to make a sweetened condensed plant-based milk as well. I HAVE MY LIMITS. 🙂
I considered making this just a regular baked oatmeal with the cashew-yogurt cream on top, but I decided it would be more fun to make it as a parfait. That’s an excuse for more cream and stuff. 😉
The recipe for the actual baked oatmeal is based off my Strawberry Shortcake Baked Oatmeal. In fact, it’s more or less the same, except a smaller portion. If you want a larger portion (3 layers instead of 2), follow the measurements for the Strawberry Shortcake version instead.
And don’t forget to participate in the contest to become December’s Oatmeal Enthusiast!
All you have to do is leave comments. See details here.
- [reads] My newest article on Thought Catalog, “A Former Teacher’s Thoughts on Police Brutality“
- [reads] “10 Sweet & Savory Ways to Top Your Oatmeal” by the kitchn
What you'll need:
- 1/4 cup milk of choice, or water
- 1/4 cup's worth of chopped, peeled zucchini
- 1/3 cup quick or rolled oats
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp vanilla bean paste (or extract)
- pinch of salt
- 1/3 cup Cashew-Yogurt Cream
- milk of choice
- marachino cherry or fresh strawberry (optional)
- cinnamon (optional)
How to make it:
- Prepare cashew-yogurt cream in advance.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and spray two or three slots on a muffin pan. Alternatively, you could just use a single-serving ramekin or make them on a baking sheet like drop biscuits.
- Add all ingredients for the baked oatmeal to a food processor and pulse until it forms a thick batter.
- Transfer to the muffin pans (or ramekin) and bake for about 20 minutes, OR drop spoonfuls on your baking sheet to form "drop biscuits" and bake for about 15 minutes.
- Allow to cool before removing from ramekin/muffin tin.
- In a glass or parfait dish, place one layer of baked oatmeal. Drizzle your milk of choice over the top, just enough to wet the oatmeal (don't drown it).
- Add a big spoonful of the cashew-yogurt cream and spread it out.
- Add another layer of oatmeal, drizzle milk over it, and add another layer of cashew-yogurt cream. If you have a third layer, repeat.
- After the top layer, leave as is OR add a cherry and/or a sprinkle of cinnamon. ENJOY!