The Thursday before my birthday, my friend and I were out and about in Manhattan enjoying some good eats. After some delightful vegan soul food at Red Bamboo, we moved on to Peacefood Cafe on 11th St. The dinner food is great there, but I particularly love their desserts. VEGAN. TIRAMISU. I didn’t see it coming, but their vegan tiramisu was infinitely better than any tiramisu (vegan or not) I’ve ever had. The cream portion was unbelievable and I have no idea what it was made of.
This put me in the mood to try out my hand at Tiramisu Oatmeal again. Feeling lazy, I tried it as an overnight oatmeal. I quit the shenanigans from before (when I tried to layer and all that jazz) and just mixed everything almost haphazardly. Much to my shock, this was better than any of my previous attempts at Tiramisu Oatmeal. I guess in the end, it’s the flavors that matter the most, and not the layers. 🙂
What you'll need:
- 1/4 cup milk of choice, or water
- 1/2 cup rolled oats (I use Country Choice Organic)
- 1 (6 oz.) container of SoDelicious Greek-Style Almond Milk Yogurt (Plain)*
- 1 tsp rum extract
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp instant coffee granules
- pinch of salt
- cocoa powder for dusting
How to make it:
- Combine all ingredients (except cocoa powder) in a mason jar.
- Cover with lid and shake, shake, shake until combined. This recipe is a little thicker than most overnight recipes, so you may have to stir with a spoon instead.
- Store in the refrigerator overnight (or for several hours). To serve, dust with cocoa powder (or perhaps shaved chocolate or chocolate chips). You could also top with fresh berries or chocolate nut butter. Eat cold or warm up in the microwave!
Just an FYI:
*You could use other yogurts (even dairy, I suppose), but this is the only one I've tried it with and the taste and texture were ideal.