Ahhh yes. This recipe brings me back to my childhood.
I spent so many holiday celebrations enjoying strawberry shortcake at my grandma’s house. To be honest, it wasn’t traditional strawberry shortcake. It used angel food cake instead of actual shortcake, store-bought Cool Whip, and the kind of syrupy strawberries that come in frozen tubs. Don’t get me wrong; I loved it.
But I had no idea what I was missing! It wasn’t until I was much, much older that my mom made homemade biscuits for dinner and used the leftovers for with fresh whipped cream that I finally experienced the full glory of strawberry shortcake.
After my successful attempt at Biscuits and Gravy Baked Oatmeal, I decided to adapt the biscuit recipe to make the perfect strawberry shortcake. Ummmm…DELICIOUS.
The stove top version is pleasant…but THIS is where it’s at. I love the vanilla in the biscuits. To die for.
What you'll need:
- 1/4 cup milk of choice, or water
- 1/2 cup's worth of chopped, peeled zucchini
- 2/3 cup quick or rolled oats (I use Country Choice Organic)
- 1/4 heaping tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp vanilla bean paste (or extract)
- pinch of salt
- Strawberries (I used fresh, but you could roast and make them syrupy by letting them sit in sugar)
- Yogurt of choice (I used So Delicious greek-style coconut yogurt, plain flavor)
How to make it:
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and spray two or three slots on a muffin pan. Alternatively, you could just use a single-serving ramekin or make them on a baking sheet like drop biscuits.
- Add all ingredients for the baked oatmeal to a food processor and pulse until it forms a thick batter.
- Transfer to the muffin pans (or ramekin) and bake for about 20 minutes, OR drop spoonfuls on your baking sheet to form "drop biscuits" and bake for about 10-15 minutes.
- Allow to cool before removing from ramekin/muffin tin.
- Transfer to a bowl or plate and top with yogurt and strawberries. Enjoy <3
Just an FYI:
I use yellow squash so that I don't have to waste time peeling the zucchini (which is purely for aesthetic reasons).