Here’s winner #4 from the brownie baked oatmeal contest! I had a really hard time narrowing down my favorite submissions. 😛 Special apology to Chandler, who sent me these lovely materials weeks ago, and I was supposed to publish it on Monday, but I forgot! Doh. Forgive me, Chandler!
Hello fellow oatmeal lovers! My name is Chandler, I am 20 years old, and I am a recent graduate with a B.A. in Spanish as well as Teaching English as a Second Language. At this point in my life, I am looking forward to grad school in the fall, working a ton, cooking as much as I can, and eating up several boxes of oatmeal a month.
My love for oatmeal has evolved a lot over the years from the early days of Quaker dinosaur egg oatmeal. I, an aspiring paleontologist, would lick all the oatmeal off the dinosaur eggs and then refuse to actually eat the eggs. (They were pretty nasty!) Now I put oatmeal into just about everything and eat it with just about every topping imaginable- cheese, fruits, hummus, nuts, eggs, and even chicken. When I saw Lauren’s brownie baked oatmeal challenge, I instantly knew what recipe I would submit. I have been reading her blog since the very beginning when I was looking for inspiration for my own blog (www.harpandchanscrafts.blogspot.com), which I have unfortunately neglected for a couple of months.
Anyway, I had made Red Velvet Baked Oatmeal for my blog several years back, and I decided to tinker with the recipe and make it even better. I am visiting my family this weekend, and two of my picky little sisters loved the recipe. What they didn’t know is that it has a hidden vegetable- beets!- that contribute to the “red velvet” color. Can’t picture beets in a sweet oatmeal recipe? Try it for yourself and see. The pickiest of my sisters said the oatmeal tasted like no bake Christmas cookies!
PS- Sorry for the awful pictures. I forgot my camera in my apartment and had to take them with my dad’s iPad.
What you'll need:
- 1 banana, mashed
- ½ cup cooked beets, mashed
- 2 oz buttermilk
- 3 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 ½ cups rolled oats
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp mini chocolate chips
- ¼ cup whipped cream cheese
- 1 tbsp honey
How to make it:
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Blend together the banana, beets, buttermilk, honey, and vanilla until there are no more lumps.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the oats, baking powder, salt, and cocoa powder.
- Stir together the wet and dry ingredients, mixing in the chocolate chips.
- Divide the batter into three oiled ramekins or small baking dishes. Bake for 25 minutes, or until the top of the oatmeal is dry.
- Beat together the cream cheese and honey. Spread it on top of the oatmeal and serve.