I will never, ever, ever think that frozen fruit compares to fresh fruit, especially when it comes to oatmeal. However, I like to always keep some on hand because you never know when it will come in handy.
Like today, for instance. I’m actually jetting off to visit a friend across the country for the week (post-graduation present to myself), so the last thing I should do right now is go to the grocery store and stock up on produce. Instead, I’m trying to finish up all the food that I have (or freeze it) so that I don’t come back to moldy bread and rotten berries.
I always, always, have sliced bananas stocked in the freezer, but sometimes I keep a supply of blueberries or raspberries in there as well (but never strawberries. Frozen strawberries are the worst). Today, with no other fresh fruit available to me, I was able to grab that bag of raspberries and make a delicious (and deliciously pink) bowl of oatmeal.
Oh, and P.S….I’m a college graduate!
What you'll need:
- 1 cup milk of choice, or water
- 1/2 cup rolled oats (I use Country Choice Organic)
- 1/2 cup frozen raspberries
- juice of half a lemon (~2 tbsp)
- pinch of salt
How to make it:
- Bring milk (I use an equal mixture of almond milk and water) to a boil, add oats, and reduce heat to medium.
- Add frozen raspberries and stir.
- Once more of the liquid has absorbed, add lemon juice and salt. Stir.
- When you're pleased with the consistency of the oatmeal, transfer to a bowl. Serve with another splash of your milk of choice and any other additional toppings (shredded coconut, nuts, etc.).