Mmkay. Time to be vulnerable.
I’ve been somber lately. Maybe even a little hopeless.
My apartment does not offer great lighting. My window faces almost directly south, meaning the sun never fully shines inside, despite our big windows. I cannot take pictures outside without walking straight onto the bustling sidewalks of New York and lookin’ like a fool. I try taking pictures near my bedroom window during the brightest time of the day, but they still turn out grainy and discolored.
I have a pretty great camera (the top-rated point-and-shoot on the market), but it functions best in natural lighting. It’s not ready for indoor, dimly-lit food photography. Having just signed a lease on my first how-the-heck-does-it-possibly-cost-this-much NYC apartment, I can’t even fathom buying a fancy camera at this point.
My recipes are receiving less hits and FoodGawker keeps rejecting my submissions. A few weeks ago, I just stopped submitting them altogether because even I think they suck.
That’s why I took my mental health break. It was more of a “my blog sucks and I don’t want to think about it” week than anything else.
Regardless, I have to pick myself off the floor and give you something. I have so many great recipes ready to share with you…I just hate their pictures. :/
But first, let me share some #FarmFreshOatmeal pics with you! The following readers supported their farmers’ markets and made these recipes with their local goods.
@juviet27 made savory oatmeal with her farmers’ market goodies. So creative, Juliet!
Hooray! Thanks so much for sharing your #FarmFreshOatmeal pics, ladies! Keep ’em coming!
What you'll need:
- 1 cup milk of choice, or water
- 1/2 cup rolled oats (I use Country Choice Organic)
- 1 small peach
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
- pinch of salt
- handful of pomegranate arils
How to make it:
- Bring milk (I use 1/2 c almond milk and 1/2 c water) to a boil, add oats, and reduce heat to medium. (If you'd like to add a teaspoon of flax or chia seeds, do so now.)
- Dice peach and stir into the oatmeal. (Peeling is optional.)
- Once more of the liquid has absorbed, add almond extract and salt. Stir.
- When you're pleased with the consistency of the oatmeal, transfer to a bowl. Add a splash of your milk of choice, pomegranate arils, and any other additional toppings (shredded coconut, nuts, etc.).