Success! I finally got three posts in a week again. I’ve been in a two-post slump for a while. It’s probably because I’ve been going through a major Lemon Coconut phase, and that’s all I’ve been making! Today, I finally pulled myself together and made a new recipe.
I know I’ve told you this before already, but these dried cherries my mom sent me were a game-changer. I find them so much more flavorful and appealing than frozen cherries…or even fresh ones. I love using them in my oatmeal because they actually provide a cherry taste! The frozen cherries I bought from Whole Foods are just not cutting it for me.
What you'll need:
- 1 orange
- 1 cup milk of choice, or water
- 1/2 cup rolled oats (I use Country Choice Organic)
- handful of dried or fresh cherries
- handful of chocolate chips
- pinch of salt
How to make it:
- Prep your oranges.
- Bring milk (I use 1/2 c almond milk and 1/2 c water) to a boil, add oats, and reduce heat to medium. (If you'd like to add flax or chia seeds, do so now. I used flax.)
- Add half (or up to 2/3) of your orange segments. Save the rest for the topping. Stir; the orange segments should break apart into little pockets.
- Once more of the liquid has absorbed, add salt and dried cherries. Stir.
- When you're pleased with the consistency of the oatmeal, transfer to a bowl. Add a splash of your milk of choice, remaining orange segments, chocolate chips, and any other additional toppings (shredded coconut, nuts, etc.). I actually used broken-up chunks from a dark chocolate Theo bar for the above pictures! 🙂
Just an FYI:
Inspired by this scone recipe by The Candid Appetite